Thursday, February 13, 2014

Standing Wave Formation Simulation

The latest version of Java has thrown a huge wrench into my classroom-machine. It won't allow me to run un-signed applets unless I add them to a whitelist. That's all well and good except that the permissions that my school assigned to my account prevent me from making changes to that whitelist. Grrrr.

Anyway, I can no-longer run many of my favorite physics applets in class, including this awesome simulation of a standing wave forming in a string with reflection.

From: Walter Fent
I've been learning a lot about VBA in Excel recently and decided to have a go at re-making the simulation in Excel. The result is a little rough-around the edges but it will work for my purposes:


You must enable macros to use the simulation. You can use the wavelength box to adjust the width of the waves. The sheet is protected, but there's no password so if you want to muck around you can unlock the sheet and play with the VBA code. I'm sure there are improvements to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment