Thursday, June 26, 2014

Tying your Shoes the Right Way

Apparently I've been tying my shoes wrong my whole life. Well, maybe not wrong, but certainty sub-optimally.

The problem was that I eschew double-knots because they're too difficult to undo while I found that the standard single-knot had a tendency to come undone in the middle of lessons. I felt trapped between a rock and a hard place trying to choose between interrupting the momentum of the class to tie my shoes or risking it until I have a moment to get the students working independently. I don't mean to overstate the issue but I really felt uneasy about leading a class with untied shoes.

The solution is the double-slip-knot; which is not a double-knot (and that is not a double-negative). It's the right middle ground between the security of the knot and the convenience of pulling to untie. My shoelaces used to come undone about once a day but they have yet to do so once since I've been tying the double-slip-knot.

All of the above links go to "Ian's Shoelace Site," a website dedicated to "Bringing you the fun, fashion & science of shoelaces." I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment